Motivate Students To Study Science & TVET— Prof. Adinkrah-Appiah

The Vice-Chancellor of the Sunyani Technical University (STU), Professor Kwadwo Adinkrah-Appiah, has called for a policy that will offer incentives to motivate students at the senior high school level to develop an interest in the science, technical and vocational education training (TVET).

That, according to him, would enable them to qualify for engineering and technology programmes at the tertiary level and increase the number of students who study science and technology programmes in tertiary educational institutions across the country.


Speaking at the 25th Matriculation of the university, which was held online in Sunyani last Friday, Prof. Adinkrah-Appiah suggested that the government could equally consider giving incentives to Engineering and TVET students at the tertiary level to entice more of the youth to enter into Engineering, Science, Technology and TVET programmes now available at the technical universities.

“It is only these programmes that have the potential to resolve the protracted high levels of graduate unemployment in the country,” he stated.


The university admitted and issued letters to a total of 5,054 prospective students out of which 2,695, representing 53.3 per cent, responded and were admitted for the 2020/21 Academic year.

Also on   Sammy Dowuona receives Award for Outstanding Contribution to ICT Reporting at gITTA event

Enrolment per type of programme indicates that Science, Technology, Engineering and Innovation (STEI) programmes recorded a total of 1,969 students, constituting 73.1 per cent, as compared with 726 students for the rest of the programmes, representing 26.9 per cent of the overall enrolment.

New programme

On the introduction of new programmes, Prof. Adinkrah-Appiah said STU had introduced a number of four-year B-Tech programmes while plans were far advanced to introduce many more Master’s of Technology (M-Tech) programmes in the near future.


Currently, the B-Tech programs being run by the university include Bachelor of Technology (Electrical and Electronics Engineering); Bachelor of Technology, Mechanical Engineering (Automobile, Plant, Production), and Bachelor of Technology, Civil Engineering.

The rest are Bachelor of Technology, Construction Technology; Bachelor of Technology, Fashion Design; Bachelor of Technology, Hospitality and Tourism Management and Bachelor of Technology, Agriculture.


Prof. Adinkrah-Appiah charged the matriculants, who took their matriculation oaths via the university’s social media platforms, to be disciplined and law-abiding.

Also on   ‘Social Media Is A Drug’ – Bright Tenbil (TEDxGIJ 2021)

“You are here to be trained not only in academic work but to help you form a decent character that will make you responsible citizens to contribute positively to Ghana’s development”, he stated.

He, therefore, urged them to get rid of negative deeds such as breaking laid-down rules and regulations and indulging in alcoholism, betting, and promiscuity, which might land them in trouble.

Thank you for making Ghana's Biggest Tech Blog.
You are the reason we produce quality digital content. Scroll down to read more on
Follow us on TwitterFB, IG, Telegram & YouTube
We accept Guest Posts. If you’d like to write for us, contact us for PR or to submit an article click here.

Leave a comment