Uber Services will be available during the Coronavirus Lockdown
In a few hours, some areas in Ghana will enter a partial lockdown due to the outbreak of Covid-19.
There has been a lot of confusion as to what services will be available during the lockdown and what will be restricted.
A lot of individuals who use e-hailing apps have questioned if these apps will be available during the 14 days lockdown.
It appears that e-hailing services such as Uber are authorized for government-permitted travel and/or exempted individuals for the 14-day partial lockdown which begins at 1 am on Monday, 30th of March.
Uber Ghana, in an email sent to riders, has advised the general public to use their services for essential movement only.
Regulatory Guidelines for Uber App during the partial lockdown
- Uber app will only be available for government-permitted travel and/or exempted individuals
- Travelling is restricted for obtaining an essential good or service or for rendering an essential service or for any other permitted purpose listed below.
- Limitations on passengers
- UberX- Maximum of 1 passenger
- UberSELECT – Maximum of 2 passengers
- Uber requests that you sit in the back seat of the vehicle
Uber has also said that there will be no surge during the period of the lockdown and is encouraging riders to tip drivers.