A quick guide on how To Create YouTube Shorts
Have you seen Shorts anytime you open the YouTube app on your device? Have you been wondering what the meaning of YouTube Shorts; how does it operate, and how you can create your own YouTube shorts?
If you have, then worry no more. In this video, I will explain everything you need to know about YouTube Shorts and how to create your own YouTube Shorts.
For some time now, TikTok has taken over the social media space. Almost everyone, including young, middle-aged, and older people, has TikTok installed on their devices. This is mainly because the videos are free to watch and download. Thus, you can watch the videos and download them on your device for future viewing.
This is very different from all the other popular social media platforms where you have to go through lengthy processes to download videos – most of them being illegal or unethical.
Due to the pressure placed by TikTok on the other video applications, YouTube has also created its very own “TikTok-like” feature called the “YouTube Shorts.” If you are very observant, then you will have already spotted this in your YouTube app. But what at all is YouTube Shorts?
What is YouTube Shorts?
Shorts is a new video streaming feature introduced by YouTube to allow viewers to enjoy short videos while using the YouTube app. This system functions as a “social media” platform for short videos, similar to TikTok and Instagram Reels.
On the regular YouTube platform, video creators had to use quality cameras to record and upload their videos if they ever thought of gaining followers. Although this isn’t a big issue, people who were using their smartphones to create videos on YouTube were not gaining much traffic compared to those with High-Quality HD cameras.
But with the new Shorts platform, video creators can now use their smartphones to record up to 60 seconds of video content right from the YouTube app. In terms of editing, some free-to-use tools will help you edit your videos; and interestingly, you don’t need to be “techy” to use the editing tools.
How To Create YouTube Shorts
- Open the YouTube app on your iPad, iPhone, or Android device
- Tap on the Create (+) button in the bottom toolbar of the page. (Between Shorts and Subscriptions)
- Tap Create a Short from the menu
- Some of the options that will appear in this menu include
- Add Music: this option is used to choose the music you will play during the video.
- Flip: This is used to switch between front and rear cameras.
- Speed: you can use this to adjust the speed of the video from the min 0.3X to 3.0X
- Timer: this is used to set a time to start recording so that you can place your phone somewhere and stand somewhere else.
- Short Length: use this to change the length of the video between 15 and 60 seconds.
- Gallery: use this to choose or add a video from your phone’s gallery.
- Record: press and hold this button to record your video.
- Once you are done with the recording, tap on the checkmark
- After this, you will be taken to the editing page. Here you will find Alignment, Text background, Brush, Text Size, and Text color icons.
- Next, tap on Adjust to edit the music and when you are done tap DONE.
- If you included text, tap on Timeline to tell when the text should appear on the screen. Afterwards, tap DONE >> NEXT
- Finally, add the Title of the shorts, choose visibility, and select whether it is meant for kids or not. Lastly, tap on UPLOAD and wait for your Shorts to be uploaded
As simple as that, you have now successfully uploaded your first ever YouTube Shorts in less than 5 minutes. That is less than ten times the time you would have spent uploading a video on YouTube.
At the moment, the platform is in its BETA stage, and we cannot tell whether you can monetize your Shorts or not. But, as soon as the entire platform is launched, we will update you on future developments.