Creativity: Things You Can Do with a Broken LCD TV
Most people think that LCD TVs aren’t worth the investment when they break. However, in many cases, you can still get plenty of use out of your broken LCD TV and actually save some money by doing so.
Here are ten fun things you can do with a broken LCD TV when it breaks beyond repair, and how to do them.
Things You Can Do with a Broken LCD TV
1. Turn it into an indoor aquarium
A broken LCD TV can make a great indoor aquarium! Just remove the back panel and seal the edges with silicone to create a water-tight seal. Then, add some gravel, plants, and fish and you’re good to go!
2. Make a homemade solar oven
You can make a homemade solar oven with a broken LCD TV. This is a great way to recycle and upcycle your old television. Plus, it’s a fun project that the whole family can enjoy. Here’s how you do it
- Remove the back of the TV so you can see all of the wires.
- Get some aluminum foil and place it on top of the screen (or remove it if there isn’t one).
- Tape or tie down any loose wiring inside of the casing so they don’t fall out when moving the panel around.
- Cover the panel in plastic wrap, leaving an opening for light to enter at the bottom.
- Put this outside in direct sunlight and watch it cook.
3. Use it as a firewood heater
Are you tired of your old, inefficient fireplace? If you have a broken LCD TV, you can use it as a firewood heater. Just prop it up in front of your fireplace and let the heat from the fire reflect off the screen. You’ll be toasty in no time.
4. Turn it into an emergency radio
A broken LCD TV can still be used as an emergency radio. Simply hook up a small FM radio to the audio output of the TV. You can then use the TV’s power cord to plug into a wall outlet or battery pack to power the radio. This setup will allow you to listen to your favorite FM stations even when the power is out.
5. Use it in your garden as soil pH monitor
Broken LCD TVs can actually be pretty useful, even if they don’t work anymore. For example, you can use one in your garden as a soil pH monitor. All you need to do is bury the screen in your garden bed and wait a few days.
The soil’s acidity will cause the screen to change color, giving you a visual indication of the pH level. This can be helpful information when it comes to choosing plants that will thrive in your garden.
6. Keep critters out of your yard
Are you tired of finding little critters in your yard? If so, then consider using a broken LCD TV to keep them out. All you have to do is place the TV in your yard and turn it on. The critters will be afraid of the noise and light, and they’ll stay away.
7. Place it on top of your car to block the sun
We’ve all been there. You’re driving along, minding your own business, when suddenly the sun is in your eyes. It’s so bright and distracting that you can’t see anything else on the road.
Well, next time this happens, don’t reach for those expensive sun shades. Just grab your broken LCD TV and place it on top of your car. The sun will be blocked out and you’ll be able to see the road again.
8. Use it as a photo frame
LCD TVs make great photo frames! All you need is a little bit of creativity and voila instant photo frame. Here’s how to do it:
- Start by removing the back panel of your LCD TV.
- Carefully remove the LCD screen, being careful not to damage it.
- Turn the LCD screen around so that the front is facing outwards. It should now be a blank white surface.
- Gather together some photos or printouts of pictures you want to display in your picture frame and place them on the screen.
- Arrange them until they are all as desired, then use tape or staples to hold them in place.
- Replace the back panel with the LCD screen inside (still flipped over) and tighten up any screws that might have come loose during this process.
9. Turn it into an art piece to display in your home or office
You can use the broken LCD TV as a canvas and create a one-of-a-kind art piece for your home or office. All you need is some paint, markers, and/or other materials to decorate the screen. Let your creativity flow and come up with a design that reflects your personal style.
10. Paint and decorate it
One of the best things about decorating your own broken LCD TV is that you can make it as personal and unique as you want. Plus, it’s a great way to add a pop of color or personality to your home.
Here are a few ideas to get you started;
- Paint one side white and one side black for a classic style.
- Create an abstract art piece by painting stripes all over the screen.
- Decorate with mirrors for a reflective look.
- Stencil words in different fonts for a retro vibe. Etc.
A broken LCD TV can be a pain, but it doesn’t have to be the end of the world. There are actually quite a few things you can do with it. So, before you throw it out, consider some of the options above.