Download Now: Google launches lightweight Go search app in Ghana
Google Go is a search app for slow networks on Android.
Google has unveiled a new, lightweight search app aimed at emerging markets. The app, called Google Go, has been launched in 26 countries in sub-Saharan Africa, including Ghana, and is available for download immediately.
Why Google Go?
The app is meant to address the challenges often faces by users in emerging markets like Ghana: weak data connectivity, high data costs and low RAM and storage space on entry-level devices. It uses less than 5MB of storage on Android smartphones.
Google Go uses the latest version of the company’s compression algorithm, which it said consumes up to 40% less than to display search results. Search results are also cached on the device so users can quickly re-access previous searches, even when they’re offline, without incurring further data costs.
When there’s no Internet access, Google Go retries failed search requests in the background and lets you know as soon as the results are ready. Web pages load quickly, even in data-saving mode or on 2G connections.
Voice search has been improved to work better on slow connections, too.
Features of Google Go
- Type less, discover more. Save time by tapping your way through trending queries and topics, or by using your voice to say what you’re looking for.
- Everything you need in one app. Easily and quickly access your favourite apps and websites, as well as images, videos and information on the things you care about – all from Google Go.
- Don’t miss out on what’s popular and trending. Explore the latest trending topics just by tapping Search.
- Find the perfect greetings to share with loved ones. Tap on “Images” or “GIFs” to find the best photos and animated greetings to liven up your chats.
- Easily switch between languages. Set a second language to switch your search results to or from at any time.
Download Google Go
Google Go is available immediately in 26 countries in sub-Saharan Africa through the Google Play Store. It will come pre-installed on all Android Oreo (Go edition) devices, like the Nokia 1. It is available for devices running Android 4.3 (Jelly Bean) and above.
The app has an impressive 4.8 rating on the PlayStore.
To download from the PlayStore, click here.
For the latest tech news and reviews, follow Mfidie on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and Telegram. Subscribe to our YouTube channel here. To Subscribe via WhatsApp, send “News” to 0242022161
If you want to be part of our team of bloggers or you want to Guest blog on this platform, send a WhatsApp Message to 0242022161 or simply call. You can also fill the form here to join our tech blogging team and we will contact you back.