How To Download Subtitles From YouTube Videos
Youtube is undoubtedly the world’s leading video content platform. From music videos through movies to tutorials and game reviews, Youtube is a big source of content.
For most people who can’t afford the monthly subscription fee for streaming platforms such as Netflix, Youtube always comes in handy and effective too.
But, there’s always the issue of not being able to download the videos or their subtitles when there is a dire need.
However, this should never be a barricading factor in your quest to enjoy some tutorials, some music video or movie offline.
There are very simple and some complex ways to download your favourite Youtube video and also to download video subtitles.
In this article, we take you through some of the tried and tested ways of downloading video subtitles on Youtube.
First Things First
Before you think of downloading subtitles for a Youtube video, there is somthing important you need to know first.
The video you’re seeking to download the subtitle for; must already have a subtitle attached to it on the Youtube platform.
It’s probably getting confusing for you at this point. Right?
Take a breather. So, here is it. When people upload videos to Youtube, they have the option to add subtitles to their videos.
So, if someone adds a subtitle to his video, then you can actually download that subtitle, using the methods listed in this article below.
Conversely, if the person hasn’t added any subtitles to their video, then there’s nothing for you to download…Aside from the video itself.
So, the first thing for you to check, is to see if the video has a subtitle or a list of subtitles attached to it.
Here’s how to find that:
- Open the video on the youtube channel
- Look at the options under the video. On the same link where you have settings, play, next and volume. If you see the “CC” button there, then the video has a subtitle. If there’s no “CC” button, then there’s no subtitle.
Now, after confirming that your video has a subtitle, it’s time to start the main process of downloading it now. So, follow the remainder of this article keenly to see how it’s done.
Using Subtitle Downloader To Download Youtube Video Subtitles
There are some web applications that help in downloading Youtube subtitles, just as there are web applications for downloading Youtube videos.
Follow the steps below to use this trusted web application to download your Youtube video subtitles.
- Open the video from the channel.
- Copy the video URL from the address bar.
- Open the website ‘savesubs.com’ in another tab of your browser
- Paste the video URL in the box provided on the ‘Savesub’ homepage
- Click on ‘Extract & Download’
- Scroll down to select the type of file you want to download. Select TXT for a text file and select SRT for a Subrip subtitle.
Downloading Youtube Video Subtitles Manually
No, it’s not so technical. So don’t just freak out yet. In fact, it’s best to download Youtube Subtitles manually. Because this gives you so much power to control how your downloaded subtitle should appear.
Follow the steps listed below to get started now:
- Open Youtube
- Search for and open the video you want to work with.
- Scroll down to the bottom of the video. Where the video description is normally written. You’ll see three dots on the right side.
- Click on the ‘three dots’
- Select ‘Open transcripts’. You should see a new window popping up on the right side with the full transcript of the video
- Copy the whole text by either highlighting and copying with the mouse or using the keyboard shortcuts.
- Open a new and empty text document on your machine
- Paste the transcript in the document and save it.
If you want to do away with the timestamps attached to each line of the transcript, then after step 5, click on the 3 dots on top of the transcript window. Then, select ‘Toggle timestamps’ to turn it off.
If you’re okay with it however, then leave it as it is.
Youtube is a great source of entertainment and education for Billions of people all over the world. It’s great for you to be able to download videos uploaded on the platform so you could actually watch them offline.
But, it becomes difficult to watch and understand these videos if you can’t access a transcript to understand what’s being said in the videos.
In this article, we set out to resolve this problem.
So, we proferred and discussed two ways to download video subtitles from Youtube.
We hope you found this article very helpful and that you’ll share it with your friends and relatives.
We write because you read, kindly help us share this article with your network.
Do well to share your comments, reservations and questions about this article in the comment box below.
You can also get in touch with us.