Ghanaian Online Habits – 5 Things Ghanaians Do Online
- Ghanaian Online Habits have not been well documented like it has been done in other places around the world. In fact, in Ghana, there seem to be very little or no research into what we do online. One of the many ways to measure what people do online is to look at the websites they visit.
- Let’s look at what people in Ghana do on the internet based solely on web traffic.
- Find below the list of the top 50 Websites visited in Ghana.
Ghanaian Online Habits have not been well documented like it has been done in other places around the world. In fact, in Ghana, there seem to be very little or no research into what we do online. One of the many ways to measure what people do online is to look at the websites they visit.
Alexa provides this data by ranking websites based on the amount of traffic they get. Website traffic simply refers to the amount of Internet Data that is sent or received on a website or different websites by the website’s visitors. Web traffic is the highest form of Internet Traffic globally.
Let’s look at what people in Ghana do on the internet based solely on web traffic.
Ghanaians love to be informed
The greater percentage of Ghanaians are reading news online. Most of these are local news websites mainly ghanaweb.com, yen.com.gh, myjoyonline.com, peacefmonline.com, citifmonline.com and modernghana.com. BBC and The Daily Mail are also represented on the list. The news websites on the list also have a high rank with the local ones collectively reaching an average rank of 16.6.
Search, Search, Search! Ghanaians are always searching
Google, YouTube, Yahoo and Ask? Well, Ghanaians seem to understand how search engines work and are using it quite often. Google.com.gh ranks highest in Ghana and this comes as a no surprise, especially with a lot of people on Google’s android platform. A lot of video searches too on YouTube (YouTube is a search engine too, the second biggest in the World, actually) means Ghanaians are not left out on the video search scene. It’s fair to assume most of these YouTube searches happen over office Wi-Fi and ethernet. Search Engines have a combined rank of 5. Impressive! Sadly, none of these search engines are Ghanaian.
Ghanaians love Social Media
Ghanaians are in love with Social Media; but you already knew that, didn’t you? Facebook ranks at number 6, Instagram at 25 and Twitter at 45. What’s surprising about the social media is the rank of LinkedIn – at 15. A lot of people in Ghana seem to be taking the professional social networking site pretty serious nowadays. However, think about this – LinkedIn is an employment-oriented social networking service. It could just be we are all on LinkedIn to search for jobs, considering the unemployment rate in the country.
Ghanaians are picking up on doing business online.
AliExpress, Alibaba, Amazon and Jumia? These are all shopping sites and they have a combined rank of 33. Tonaton and OLX are also on the list of websites frequented by Ghanaians. You should read the comparison we did: Tonaton or OLX? Also on the business scene are a lot of Ad websites. Well, bloggers are at it again, delivering ads and making some money. Online shopping, online classifieds and online ads, Ghanaians certainly are doing some business online.
Ghanaians are into sports; they prove it by betting.
Goal, Livescore and Flash Score? Sports are a big thing in Ghana and it’s no surprise we have taken this online. It’s a pity my favorite sports editorial site is not on this list but these sites are visited by the sporting community to satisfy their insatiable need to know whether Hazard is going to be transferred to Real Madrid or not. Ghanaians have also taken to betting and this is quite good – proving you love the game by putting your money into it.
Here is a graph showing categories of websites in the top 50
Find below the list of the top 50 Websites visited in Ghana.
- google.com.gh – Search Engine
- youtube.com – Search Engine
- google.com – Search Engine
- ghanaweb.com – News
- yahoo.com – Search Engine / News
- facebook.com – Social Media
- yen.com.gh – News
- wikipedia.org – Educational Resource
- onclkds.com – Ads
- myjoyonline.com – News
- peacefmonline.com – News
- ghanamotion.com – Entertainment
- live.com – News / Mailing
- ask.com – Search Engine
- linkedin.com – Social Media
- tonaton.com – Classifieds
- floralinvestment.com – Business
- ug.edu.gh – Educational Resource
- ***********.biz – Adult Content
- thepiratebay.org – Peer to Peer / File Sharing
- www.aliexpress.com – Shopping
- goal.com – Sports
- blogspot.com – Blogging
- livescore.com – Sports
- instagram.com – Social Media
- knust.edu.gh – Educational Resource
- bet365.com – Betting
- msn.com – News / Mailing
- myway.com – Internet Portal
- popads.net – Ads
- citifmonline.com – News
- amazon.com – Shopping
- savefrom.net – Video Downloads
- olx.com.gh – Classifieds
- flashscore.com – Sports
- modernghana.com – News
- jumia.com.gh – Shopping
- bbc.com – News
- microsoft.com – News / Mailing
- *******.com – Adult Content
- wordpress.com – Blogging
- go2cloud.org – Ads
- alibaba.com – Shopping
- reimageplus.com – Software
- twitter.com – Social Media
- ghanasoccernet.com – Sports
- betway.com.gh – Betting
- softonic.com – Software
- dailymail.co.uk – News
- office.com – Productivity
These website ranks are ordered by their 1 month Alexa traffic rank. What do you find surprising about the ranking? Are any of your favorite websites on the list?