How to Change a Programme Name in Windows Task Manager
One of the most useful features of Windows task manager is the ability to give a process or programme its own name instead of calling it programme X or programme Y.
This helps in tracking certain processes, especially when there are too many of them on your screen and you need to know which one you are after. It also helps if you need to give the same process different names in different instances.
In this article, we look at how to change the name of an existing process in Windows task manager.
What is Task Manager
Task Manager is a system monitor for Microsoft Windows that provides detailed information about computer performance and running applications, as well as an advanced tool for managing processes and programs.
Where to find windows task manager on your pc
To find the Windows Task Manager on your computer, press the Ctrl + Alt + Delete keys at the same time. This will bring up the security screen. From here, click on Task Manager. If you’re using Windows 8 or 10, you’ll need to click on More details first.
How to change a program name in task manager
In Windows 10, the Task Manager has been redesigned with more features than ever before. One of these new features is the ability to change the name of a program.
- Open the Task Manager by pressing CTRL+ALT+DEL or by right-clicking the taskbar and selecting Task Manager.
- On the Processes tab, find the process you want to rename.
- Right-click on the process and select Rename.
- Type in the new name for the process and press Enter.
- The program will now be renamed in the task manager window.
You can also rename programs by right-clicking on them in the File Explorer and selecting Rename from the contextual menu.
If you want to change the name of a program that’s already running, you can do so from the Windows Task Manager.
To open the Task Manager,
- Press Ctrl+Shift+Esc or right-click the taskbar and select Task Manager from the menu.
- Find the program you want to rename in the list of processes and click on it once to select it.
To undo your changes,
- Simply open File Explorer and navigate to C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs.
- Selecting any program in that folder and hitting F2 will allow you to rename it back.