How to check if a Ghana Number is MTN, AirtelTigo, Vodafone or Glo
MTN, AirtelTigo, Vodafone and Glo are the four major mobile telecom service providers in Ghana. But who has which number ranges? How can you tell if someone’s phone number is registered under MTN, AirtelTigo, Vodafone or Glo? If you want to know how to know if a number is MTN, AirtelTigo, Vodafone or Glo in Ghana, this guide will help you figure it out!
Mobile networks in Ghana
The role of communication in every country is very important and thats why MTN, Vodafone, AirtelTigo, Glo which is the four main telecom companies in Ghana is no exception.
Their dominance over the years have been felt to the extent that, without their presence, life becomes unbearable for alot of people.
Without them, we can’t make calls using our phones, we can’t browse the internet using our phones, modems, routers, turbonets and others. That show how important mobile networks are for a country like Ghana.
How to know if your number is MTN in Ghana
You may want to use MTN in Ghana. you’ve gone to purchase the SIM, registered it and now, you want to check your number to confirm if its indeed an MTN number.
The first thing that will come in mind is to look through the starter pack. But what if the starter pack is not available at the time you want to know your number? That shouldnt be difficult. On your phone,
- Dial *156# to check your MTN mobile phone number.
- Choose option 1 (check my number)
- You will now be shown your MTN Ghana phone number, starting with 024, 054 or 055.
How to know if your number is Vodafone in Ghana
Just like any other network, after registering your SIM, the first way to check your number is by looking through the starter pack. If the starter pack is not available, you can also check your Vodafone number using your phone. On your phone,
- Dial *127# to check your Vodafone mobile number.
- Vodafone Ghana will now show you your Vodafone mobile phone number starting with 020 or 050.
How to know if your number is AirtelTigo in Ghana
To check if your number is an airteltigo number, locate the number on your SIM starter pack to confirm. Also you can check the number from your phone. To do so,
- Dial *841# or *703# to check your AirtelTigo network mobile number
- AirtelTigo Ghana will show you the phone number of your Tigo SIM.
NB: AirtelTigo has two shortcodes because they were once two separate networks who has now come together to work as one. Therefore, any of the above shortcode works on any of the SIM you are using, either Airtel or Tigo.
How to know if your number is Glo in Ghana
To check your Glo number in Ghana, you can look through the starter pack and if its not available, you can check using your phone. To do so,
- Dial short code *1244# to check your Glo mobile number
- Glo Ghana will display your current phone number on the phone screen for you.
How to know if your number has been ported to a different network
Numbers normally gets ported to different networks in Ghana. One might love using his old MTN, Vodafone, AirtelTigo or Glo number but does not like the mobile network offers anymore.
With that, the person can maintain that old number but will port the network to the one he/she prefers. If you get hold of such SIM, how will you know the network such SIM has been ported to?
- You can confirm that using their various distinctive shortcodes. MTN has some common shortcodes the other don’t have such as the MoMo shortcode.
- You can also use the Shortcode used to check phone numbers. If you use a Vodafone phone number check short code on an AirtelTigo network, it surely won’t work.
- Also, if you try buying an MTN airtime on a Glo network, it surely won’t work. So these are some few ways you can use to check the network your SIM is working with and also to check your number.
Knowing your phone number is a must. Knowing the network your SIM is subscribed to is also a must. You may need all this when doing some petty stuffs on your phone and for your phone. So take note of the steps above and know your way around whenever there is the need.