How to Discover New and Interesting Places Near You With Google Maps
Google Maps has become the go-to application for anyone looking to find directions to their favorite restaurant or store.
But it can also serve as a handy tool for discovering new, interesting places nearby. This article outlines how to discover new and interesting places near you with Google Maps.
About Google Maps
Google Maps has been around for over a decade, but it’s still one of the most popular mapping apps on the market.
The app provides an easy way to get directions, locate nearby businesses, find out what traffic is like in a certain area, and more.
One of the best features is that you can explore areas near you by tapping on the Explore tab at the bottom of your screen.
How does Google maps locate places?
Most mobile phones are equipped with GPS, which uses signals from satellites to determine a device’s location. Also, additional information from nearby Wi-Fi, mobile networks, and device sensors can be collected to determine a required location.
How to discover new and interesting places near you with google maps
You can search for areas of interest, things to do, or notable locations in Google Maps. Find places like nearby museums, new restaurants, and popular bars and clubs. You can also find ratings and descriptions of these places in Maps.
Using a computer
To find interesting places near you on your computer,
- Open Google Maps and search for any area you wish to explore.
- Once you have a view of the exact section of the map you’re looking to explore, click on the X button at the right end of the location search bar next to the magnifying glass icon.
- Now, type in the place you wish to look for in the search bar and add near. Eg: restaurant near the white house, hospitals near me.
- The map will now show you all the nearby places you searched for highlighted as gray dots.
- Click on a dot to open a pop-up menu containing details about the place including its name, visiting hours, user rating, contact information, etc.
Using a mobile phone
On your Android phone or tablet,
- Open the Google Maps app.
- Under the search bar, tap a suggestion, such as Restaurants, Coffee, or Hotels.
- You can hit on the more tab at the far corner for more suggestions.
- After tapping on any of the suggestions given, all places near you under such category will pop up.
- Alternatively, you can also use the search tab to look for places near you by adding near me to the search.
Google maps has made it easier to locate places with ease. With the map on your phone or on your computer, you can get to find new and interesting places to visit during your free time.