How to File and Pay Your Taxes Online in Ghana
Ghana is indeed moving to the digital space. Now, you can sit at the comfort of your home, file and pay your taxes online in Ghana without having to visit any Ghana Revenue Authority (GRA) office. That’s cool, right?
Since 1st July 2021, the Ghana Revenue Authority (GRA) no longer accepts cash or cheque payments at any of their branches located across the country. Instead, taxpayers (individual, sole proprietor, or limited liability company) now have to pay their taxes digitally through the Ghana.gov online payment platform.
Before then, taxpayers had to manually visit any of the Ghana Revenue Authority (GRA) offices located across the country to pay their taxes either with cheques or cash. This process was sometimes hectic and stressful, especially on days where there were many people at the Ghana Revenue Authority (GRA) office.
The platform was developed by three (3) of the leading fintech companies in Ghana, i.e., IT Consortium, Hubtel, and expressPay. The idea to develop ghana.gov was initiated by the Government of Ghana to streamline payments for any and all government services and also to close the hole in the revenue collection which leads to an annual loss of GHS 2 billion.
How To Sign Up on Ghana.GOV
The Ghana.gov platform is the central payment platform for the Government of Ghana and as a result, all government-related payments are transacted on this platform. Therefore, before you can be able to file and pay your tax online in Ghana, you must sign up on the Ghana.gov platform first.
- Open a browser on your device and visit ghana.gov.gh
- Click on the SIGN UP button at the upper right corner of the screen
- Enter your first name, other names (if any), last name, phone number, email address, and password in the spaces provided
- Check the box next to Check to agree to Terms and Conditions of Ghana.GOV and then click on Continue
- Check your phone and enter the OTP verification code sent to you via SMS in the space provided and click Continue afterward
- You will automatically be redirected to log in page
- Choose either Login with Email or Login with Phone Number to login with your email or phone number respectively and password
How To File and Pay Your Taxes Online in Ghana
- Visit gra.gov.gh/file-and-pay-taxes on your device
- Select the type of tax you want to pay
- Since you have an account already, click on the SIGN IN button in the upper right corner of the screen
- Once you enter the application dashboard, you will be asked to confirm or create an account with the Integrated Tax Application and Preparation System (iTaPS)
- For first-timers select No Register me to register with the Integrated Tax Application and Preparation System (iTaPS)
- Enter your TIN/Ghana Card Number, first and last names in the spaces provided
- Answer your nationality and where your tax office is located at and then click on Submit
- Continue to File and Pay Taxes and choose the Tax Type, choose the period (month and year) and fill in the other relevant information in the provided spaces and click Submit Info afterward
- Choose how much you want to pay and then click Pay
- You will be redirected to the Checkout page where you will find an invoice number and the total amount
- Choose your preferred payment method (Bank Card, Mobile Money, Scan & Pay, Pay with *222#, or Pay at Bank) and confirm the payment
- Once the payment is successful, you will receive both an email and text message
- Finally, you can go to your dashboard, locate your invoice, and then download the PDF version of it
Filing and paying taxes is a civic responsibility and should be treated as such. According to the 1992 constitution of Ghana, persons who are found not to be paying taxes could be arrested and prosecuted. Therefore, taxpayers should take advantage of the Ghana.GOV platform to file and pay their taxes to avoid any prosecution.
The ability of Ghanaians to file and pay their taxes online is a good initiative that will go a long way to benefit the country at large. Due to the simplistic nature of the process, both educated and uneducated taxpayers can simply follow the steps to file and pay their tax and in the end, the actions of middlemen will are going to be eliminated completely.
Yes. You can pay your tax online on Ghana.GOV by following the steps listed in the article.
You pay your tax to the Ghana Revenue Authority (GRA) through Ghana.GOV using the steps outlined in the article.
You can be arrested for tax fraud when you are caught not to be doing your tx returns. This could mean imprisonment, fine, or both.