How to Register for IELTS Online in Ghana
Are you travelling to an English-speaking country? Do you need to show your English Language proficiency level? Keep reading this article to know how to register for IELTS online in Ghana and use it as a proof of your English Language proficiency.
Because of the state of the local economy and the living standards of the average Ghanaian, most people seek to go work and live in foreign countries to seek greener pastures.
But, travelling to most English-speaking countries to live and work or to study requires that you show your English Language proficiency before your visa application will be approved.
In such cases, you cannot just go and speak English at the centre for your visa application to be approved. You need to submit a document showing that you are indeed capable of speaking the English language. The document is in the form of a test result or examination transcript.
The most common examination that is widely accepted by many English-speaking countries including the United Kingdom, is the International English Language Testing System (IELTS).
What is IELTS?
The International English Language Testing System (IELTS) is a standardized English Language test which is designed to test non-native English speakers their English Language proficiency. As stated earlier, the IELTS is for foreigners (non-native English speakers) who wish to study, work and live in an English-speaking environment.
How to Register for IELTS Online in Ghana
Before you can take the IELTS, you need to first of all register with the recognized institution, i.e. the British Council Ghana. The registration process is very simple, easy and transparent.
- Find the closest IELTS test centre: Accra, Kumasi, Tamale and Abidjan (Ivory Coast).
- Visit the British Council Ghana official website and scroll to the test page.
- Check the availability and select your test date (different for the written test and the speaking test).
- Create an account with British Council Ghana with your email and other required information.
- Book your test and pay the required fees via card or bank transfer at any Standard Chartered Bank branch in Ghana.
- Upon a successful transaction, you will receive a confirmation with your test date.
- Receive an automated email with your access codes to free online courses.
- An IELTS Reference Number will be sent to access the Test Taker Portal where you can find your results.
What Are The Requirement for Registering for IELTS Online in Ghana?
For a Ghanaian citizen, you will need to have a valid National ID card or Passport before you can register. Other National IDs like Driver’s License and NHIS card is not permitted.
For a non-Ghanaian citizen who would like to take the IELTS in Ghana, you will need to have a valid Passport of your home country.
For persons under 18 years, your parents need to register online on your behalf. The reason for this is similar to that of visa application, where you need parental consent.
What Are The Types of IELTS in Ghana?
This is for persons who are going to study at undergraduate or postgraduate level or joining a professional organization in an English-speaking environment.
This is also for people who are going to train or study at below degree level work. OR Undertake work-related training in an English-speaking country.
IELTS for United Kingdom Visa Immigration (UKVI) and IELTS Life Skills
This type is one of the United Kingdom approved Secure English Language Test. This type of test helps in acquiring different types of United Kingdom visas.
How Much Does It Cost To Take an IELTS in Ghana?
The cost of your IELTS depends on the selected type of IELTS. The several costs of IELTS in Ghana are:
- Academic and General Training (Paper-based & Computer-based) – GHS 1418
- UKVI (Academic and General Training) – GHS 1562
- Life Skills (A1 and B1) – GHS 1080
- Academic & General Training – Abidjan – GHS 1505
When are the tests taken?
The IELTS is a year-long test that is taken twice in each month. All the test dates are provided by the British Council Ghana and can be checked on their official website.
There are several English proficiency tests available in Ghana, for example, Test On English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL), but the IELTS is one of the best options to go for.
The fees stated in this article are for both your written test and the speaking test and are valid as of when this article was written, 27th August 2020.
Take your time and read through this article carefully and then apply for your IELTS online. But if you encounter any challenges, feel free to ask in the comments section below and I will try my best to attend to you.