Have we not all been there before? That moment when you mistakenly send airtime to someone as money. It has happened to me a couple of times, through which I have learnt my hard lessons.
However, with the new set of rules that MTN has put in place on their popular Mobile Money Platform, such mistakes of sending money as airtime (credit) can easily be reversed.
MTN recently announced that mobile money subscribers in Ghana can now reverse money transfers that are mistakenly sent as airtime. The minimum airtime that can be reversed is GHS 10.00. Any transactions below this amount cannot be reversed.
The airtime reversal is currently available for only MoMo subscribers on the USSD menu – *170#.
How to reverse MTN Mobile Money Transactions (Change Airtime back into cash)
- Dial *170#
- Enter 7 for Wallet
- Enter 5 for Airtime Reversal
- Enter 1 to confirm the reversal.
A pop-up message will be sent to the receiver to approve reversal. You will receive an SMS to confirm the reversal after the receiver approves.
However, to avoid abuse of the reversal system, MTN has put some terms and conditions in place. This will help prevent people from taking advantage of the system. Hopefully, it does. Read them below.
Terms and Conditions for Reversing Airtime Transactions on MTN Mobile Money
- Reversals cover only airtime purchased from a MoMo subscriber’s wallet
- Reversals are initiated by the subscriber from their own wallets.
- Reversals from Merchant / Agent airtime purchase is not allowed.
- Minimum airtime to be reversed is GHS 10. Transactions below GHS 10 cannot be reversed.
- No partial reversal is allowed. The subscriber needs to ensure that the full value of airtime purchased and the bonus amount received is available before the reversal can be effected.
- In case some part of the bonus or main airtime has been used by the customer, the transaction cannot be reversed. The customer has the opportunity to top-up to ensure that the full amount is available to be able to reverse.
- The sender of the Airtime needs to contact the receiver to approve the reversal after initiating the reversal.
- Airtime reversal can only be done within 72 hours of performing the transaction.
- No reversal can be processed after 72 hours of purchase.
- Notification will be sent to both the sender and receiver upon completion of the reversal.