How to Register a Business in Ghana online [2020 Working Tutorial]
Ghana’s Registrar General Department (RGD), the body responsible for registering businesses, has successfully implemented an online registration of businesses, issuance of certificates to commence business and the registration of marriages.
Vice President Dr Mahamudu Bawumia, on Thursday, launched the automated and online portal of the Registrar General’s Department to enhance business registration processes. He said the e-Certificate and e-Payment system would facilitate the online registration of businesses and prevent the long delays associated with business registration.
He, therefore, urged the Management and Staff of the Department to adopt innovative approaches, in order to maximise revenue for the government and ensure customer satisfaction. At the launch of the e-Registration System at the Banquet Hall, State House, in Accra, Vice President Bawumia described the system as the “starting point to make Ghana the most business-friendly nation in Africa.”
Vice President Bawumia said information and communication technology (ICT) is critical in the 21st Century and gave the assurance that Ghana would leverage on technology to effect digital transformation.
“The Nana Addo Dankwa Akufo-Addo’s administration has embraced this digital transformation and will lend his support to ensure the smooth operation of this process for improved customer satisfaction.
“The importance of ICT cannot be overemphasised in this 21st Century and Ghana will leapfrog other countries and catch up with the rest of the world,” he said.
How to Register your Business in Ghana
The Registrar General’s Department Portal offers all users the ability to submit online requests for Business / Company Registration.
To register for a business online in Ghana:
- First, search on the Name Search platform to check if the business name you want to use is available.
- Then sign up and log in on the RGD Portal and start filling the online form.
- Fill the form, including a valid National ID, a Tax Identification Number (TIN) and the details of the business (Nature and the core activities)
- After the form is completed, go to a nearby office and make a payment of GHS 60 to complete the process.
- You will have your completed business registration in 14 to 28 working days.
Using the online services provided by the Registrar General’s Department Online Portal, you can do the following services too:
There are also a lot of “boring” but informative tutorials on the portal to aid individuals in the process.
Download Online Guides to help you in your Business Registration Online
- Portal User Guide – eShop Registration
- Portal User Guide – Portal User Account Registration
- Portal User Guide – Quick Access
- Portal User Guide – Online Payments