How To Reverse MTN Mobile Money Transactions
The introduction of MTN Mobile Money and other Mobile Money forms has actually positively affected lives across Ghana.
Even those in the deepest villages across Ghana can send and receive money without having to travel to and fro the big cities to access the bank.
While this technology has really eased things for the average Ghanaian, it also comes with its own challenges, one of which is the wrongful transfer of money to different accounts.
At one point or the other in the life of anyone using MTN Mobile Money, they mistakingly send money to different accounts while attempting to make payments or send money to relatives.
As painful as this situation sounds and is, it does not necessarily mean a death sentence.
There are remedies to this situation.
In this article, we shall look at ways of reversing a wrongful transfer on your MTN Mobile Money account.
How to reverse MTN Mobile Money transaction via Customer Care
As soon as you notice that you have sent an amount of money to a wrong number or person on your MTN mobile money account, you have to call MTN Customer care to reverse your transaction. To reverse your MTN Mobile Money transaction, do the following:
- Call 100 within the first 15 days from the day you made the transaction.
- Select your language
- Select Mobile Money
- Select Wrongful Mobile Money Transaction
- Select ‘Speak to an Agent’
- Explain your situation to the agent on the line.
- Mention the original account you were sending the money to.
- Mention the account you mistakingly sent the money to.
- State the exact amount involved.
- MTN would investigate the situation and send a reversal message to the person within 15 days.
Once the person approves, you should have the money back in your account.
How to do Person To Person Reversal
If you find the MTN agent or customer care approach to be too cumbersome or unyielding, you may want to try the Person to Person reversal method, although this is not recommended
So, for the person to Person reversal, it’s more about luck and how much you can convince people.
- Find the number you wrongly transferred the money to in your momo transaction message.
- Call the person and tell them exactly how much you sent to them and the actual number you were sending the money to. Be sure to be calm in your speech and do not act in any funny way to raise suspicions of fraud.
- Ask them to check their mobile money accounts to confirm if the amount has been reflected in the account.
- Once they confirm it with you, tell them to send the money back to you kindly. You can even offer them a tip from the total amount as an appreciation.
If done properly, the recipient of the money could send back your money to you as soon as they confirm that the money has truly been sent to their accounts mistakingly.
The best thing you can ever do is to ensure that you double-check your number and the name of the recipient when sending money to someone using MTN Mobile Money.
As easy as the article may have sounded, you have to realize that your ability to receive your money back when sent to a wrong number depends mainly on the recipient.
If the recipient is not someone of honour or a trustworthy person, they may withdraw the money and keep rejecting your calls.
So you have to be very careful when sending monies out.
Kindly share this article with friends and family.