How To Open An Account With Ghana Commercial Bank Online
Generally, private companies are known to be performing very well than most government and state-owned institutions especially banks. In Ghana, this is very evident as many people prefer to work for private companies than to work for government agencies (except the forces).
But one state-owned institution that has been able to stand the test of time and gradually give private institutions in the banking sector is the Ghana Commercial Bank or GCB for short. Many people in Ghana prefer to keep their money at the Ghana Commercial Bank than some other private banks and financial institutions.
This could be attributed to the trust they have in the bank as a state-owned institution thereby making it difficult for it to be closed. You will remember that several financial institutions were shut down some few years ago for failing to meet the minimum capital requirement and some of their customers have still not been paid their money.
Because of the stress that we sometimes go through to open bank accounts, most people prefer to open bank accounts online. Unfortunately, at the moment the Ghana Commercial Bank does not provide its prospective customers with an option to open a bank account online.
I know you might be wondering why then the heading says how to open an account online, that is because whenever there is an available option, we are going to be the first to inform you. Instead of opening an account online, this article is going to give you the information you need to open an account with the Ghana Commercial Bank so that, whenever you are ready you will have all the required information for your account to be created for you in just a short time.
Requirements When Opening An Account With Ghana Commercial Bank
When opening an account with Ghana Commercial Bank, there are some requirements you must meet. Without these, your account cannot be created for you and so they are mandatory and should be held or met by each prospective customer.
- Two (2) recent passport-sized photograph
- Valid national photo identity (Passport, Driver’s License, or Voter ID)
- Taxpayer Identification Number (TIN)
- Proof of residence (Utility bill (water, electricity, or waste), tenancy agreement, employer’s reference letter)
- Ghana Post GPS address
- A minimum amount of GHS 80 as an initial deposit
How To Open An Account With Ghana Commercial Bank
- Visit any of the Ghana Commercial Bank branches in all the 16 regions of Ghana
- Pick up an account opening form depending on the type of account you want to open (we will discuss this in the next paragraph)
- Fill in the forms with all the relevant information. These are usually your full name, next of kin, mobile phone number, email address (if any), occupation, etc
- Submit the forms together with the requirement listed above
- Wait for the teller to open the account for you
- Upon successful completion, an SMS will be sent to your phone (if you opted for it) and all the other information will be given to you by the teller or the person in charge.
Types of Account At Ghana Commercial Bank
There are different types of accounts that are classified under major headings and each type of account has its own forms. Basically, all these accounts fall under either current or savings accounts.
The entity account is primarily for companies and entities.
- Limited Liability Companies (LLC)
- Foreign Companies and Subsidiaries
- Sole Proprietor
- Non-Government Organisations (NGOs)
- Societies / Clubs / Associations / Trustees
- Government Ministries, Departments, Agencies, and Authorities
- Schools / Institutions
Just as the name suggests, this type of account is meant for an individual who wants to open an account and manage it himself or herself.
- Individual account
- Joint account
- Trust account
- Kidistar account
- Executors account
- Administrators account
- Client account
Link 2 Home
This type of account is for people who live outside the shores of Ghana but like to keep money in their Ghanaian bank account. Anyone who is a Ghanaian but lives outside Ghana can go in for this type of account since it has several features which make it possible for you to manage while outside Ghana.
Although it is not possible to open an account with the Ghana Commercial Bank (GCB) online at the moment, this article has given you everything you need to know about the account opening process and the requirements you must meet before an account can be created for you.
Ghana Commercial Bank has been in existence for over 68 years now and as such can be trusted as a haven to keep your money. In terms of accessibility, there is a Ghana Commercial Bank branch in almost every major town in all the 16 regions of Ghana. Therefore, if you have considered opening an account with Ghana Commercial Bank, I hope this article helps you decide on whether to move forward or not.
Do you have any questions or contributions? Please feel free to leave it down in the comments section below and I will be glad to assist you.
Currently, there is no way you can open an account with GCB online. The only way you can open an account is by visiting any of the nearest branches nationwide.