Apply for Ghana Passport Online & Get Your Passport in 15 Days
Online Ghana Passport Application was introduced in 2017. The Application took an online turn when the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Regional Integration launched an online passport application service for Ghanaians to ease the mode of the application while ensuring maximum security for applicants. Since then, there has been a lot of talk about the process, with some Ghanaian been skeptical about the whole “online application” process.
I personally like the online process because of the integration with Mobile Payment solutions. This means that I don’t have to even go to the bank to buy a pin for the online form. Wonderful!
- What is a Passport?
- How was the Ghana Passport Application done before the introduction of the online process?
- Can you apply for a Ghanaian Passport through the old method too?
- Is the Whole Process of the Online Ghana Passport Application fully Online now?
- If you have questions, kindly click this link and ask: Ghana Online Passport Application Discussion – Tips, Problems, Process and More
- How to Apply for a Ghanaian Passport Online
- Information Worth Mentioning
- Download Sample Ghana Passport Online Application form
- If you have questions, kindly click here to ask and we will answer shortly: Ghana Online Passport Application Discussion – Tips, Problems, Process and More
What is a Passport?
A passport is an official document issued by a government, certifying the holder’s identity and citizenship and entitling them to travel under its protection to and from foreign countries. Without a passport, it is almost impossible to travel between Countries and or Jurisdictions.
How was the Ghana Passport Application done before the introduction of the online process?
Before the introduction of the Ghana Passport Application Online, applicants had to buy a form and fill. This was a very tedious process because most of the requirements were not easy to understand. The grim nature of the application process led to a lot of Middle Men. Although some of the Middle Men were genuine, a lot of them were fake and often squandered the money of unsuspecting applicants.
In the worst case, the Middle Men would deliver fake passports to applicants, especially prior to the biometric passport usage in Ghana. Although the Ministry of Foreign Affairs introduced the Bio-metric Passport registration, middlemen and other con men were not deterred. They have continued to “operate” thus far under different stratagems.
Another negative of the former application process was that it led to a lot of queues at the Passport Application Centres which often led to fights and disorganisation with a lot of pressure on passport office workers.
Can you apply for a Ghanaian Passport through the old method too?
The Passport Application is not be solely online. The “old” method of applying for a Passport will continue to be used alongside this new one. This would enable applicants who are not comfortable with the new system go through the old one. It is not clear when the Old System will be phased out, but that would not be anytime soon.
However, a lot of people have reported that at GCB Bank, the could not get the “Old Forms”. This is an indication that the process may be fully online by the end of 2018.
Is the Whole Process of the Online Ghana Passport Application fully Online now?
No! The whole process is not online. After completing the online part of the application, you would book an appointment with the application centre in Accra to complete the process.
How to Apply for a Ghanaian Passport Online
It is simple to apply. You can kick-start the process on the Ministry of Information Website by visiting: https://passport.mfa.gov.gh
Types of Ghanaian Passport Application and their Prices
There are two types of Application. The first one is the Expedited Application aka “Express” and this costs GHS 50 more.
|Application Type||Price (GHS)|
Where can I pay to Apply for Ghana Passport Online?
There are a lot of options when it comes to paying for the form. You can use the MTN Mobile Money, Tigo Cash or Vodafone Cash. Find the partner banks too and their mode of payment.
|Bank||Available Purchase Channels|
|EcoBank Ghana||Branches nationwide, Airtel Money, VISA & MasterCard, MTN Mobile Money, Tigo Cash, Vodafone Cash.|
|GCB Bank||Branches nationwide, Vodafone Cash.|
|Zenith Bank Ghana||Branches nationwide, Airtel Money, MTN Mobile Money, Tigo Cash, Vodafone Cash, VISA & MasterCard.|
Paying for a new or renewal of Ghanaian Passport Online using Mobile Money
If you would want to use Mobile Money to pay for the Passport online:
- Register a new account on the portal by visiting: https://passport.mfa.gov.gh
- Click on Applications
- Click New Application
- When Payment comes, choose EcoBank, GCB Bank or Zenith Bank
- After that, choose MTN Mobile Money or your preferred network
- Enter your number and confirm the payment via your phone
- The Portal will now allow you to continue the application process
What do I need for the Ghana Passport Application Online?
First Time Applicants
- Birth Certificate (Proof of Ghanaian citizenship) – This is how to apply for one online.
- Documents to support Identity such as Driver’s Licence, National ID card
- Proof of Profession (An introductory letter from the applicant’s employer that is if the applicant is currently employed or a work ID card that bears applicant’s name, organisation’s name and position. A student ID if the applicant is currently in school. Homemakers/housewives and applicants that are unemployed and those in the non-formal sector of employment like mechanics, hairdressers seamstresses, traders etc. do not need proof. Registered Business Owners and self-employed applicants must produce their business registration certificate as proof)
Renewing Applicants (Biometric)
- First page and bio-data page with picture and information page
- Valid Visa if the applicant has any in Old Passport
- Last page
- Proof of Profession if changed
Information Worth Mentioning
If you have all the correct documentation that you are supposed to have ready and you upload your information on the online passport application and you have paid your processing fees and there is nothing wrong with your supporting documentation, it is expected that you get your new passport in 10 to 30 days.
Also, remember online applications are processed at the Accra PAC only.
Download Sample Ghana Passport Online Application form
You can download a sample “filled” Ghana Passport (Online Application) to know which information you will need. Download here: Sample-Passport-Ghana-Online-Passport-Application
Do you think the Online Ghana Passport Application is a right step? Would you use it? Let your view be heard in the comments and share with your friends.
If you have questions, kindly click here to ask and we will answer shortly: Ghana Online Passport Application Discussion – Tips, Problems, Process and More
Thank you for reading. Don’t forget to share this with your family and friends. For the latest tech news and reviews, follow Mfidie on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and subscribe to our YouTube channel.
If you want to be part of our team of writers or you want to Guest write, send a WhatsApp Message to 0242022161 or simply call. You can also fill the form here to join our team and we will contact you back.